We're sticklers for ensuring your stay is the best and as comfortable as it can be. That's why we looked long and hard before settling on our king sized mattresses and linens. While we know everyone is different, we believe we have a little something for everyone. For an overnight stay in Shullsburg, John and Deb's Place is THE place to be.
Built in 1884 this guest house is the perfect place to explore Shullsburg, Wisconsin's 3rd oldest city. Home to the great lead mining region.
Located in the far Southwestern part of Wisconsin. John and Deb's Place in Shullsburg is just minutes away from Galena IL and Dubuque IA . Only an hour and a half from Madison's Dane County Regional Airport.
John and deb's place
Built with Milwaukee Brick in 1884 by the JK Williams Estate, this building is of Italianate design drawn by Dr. C.C. Gratiot . On the street level it first housed Merchants Union Bank, the First National Bank, in the east room and the J.T. Brewster Drug Store in the west. In 1909, the Farmers and Merchants Bank took over the east side and operated until 1967. It then became the Honeycomb’s Gift Shop. Upstairs Dr. J.C. Hanifan practiced dentistry, which has been riddled with stories of tooth removal without anesthesia. The small airport outside Shullsburg was named in his honor as he was a reputable pilot as well. The building was purchased by Dr. Martin Thorsen in the early 1970’s. He moved his dental practice into the east side and renovated the west room in 2001 for the First Banking Center. He began renovations on the 2nd story for guest lodging and suites. After Dr. Thorsen’s unexpected death due to a car accident, the building remained empty for 5 years. We purchased it in November of 2013 and restored the upstairs for guest lodging. The Crooked Canvas art studio moved into our lower level west commercial space on the street level, which is a fun and creative addition to Shullsburg and fun for a date night activity. We officially opened John and Deb’s Place to guests in June, 2014.